• GX 460 Has Earned An EPA-Estimated 20 MPG Highway Rating With 301-hp V8
• Fold-Flat and Power Third Row Provides Versatility for Passengers or Cargo
• Advanced Technology Optimizes On- and Off-Road Performance
The luxurious Lexus GX 460 luxury utility vehicle carries over into 2013 with its quiet cabin and a long list of standard features and options that make it a versatile choice for city and off-road driving. With its seven-passenger, three-row configuration and body-on frame construction, the GX 460 combines “right sized” mid-size packaging with family-friendly comfort and premium craftsmanship. The GX 460 has EPA-estimated fuel economy ratings of 17 mpg combined, 15 mpg city and 20 mpg highway.
The GX 460 is one of the few premium luxury utility vehicles that can deliver genuine trail driving capability. Combining that capability with Lexus luxury and on-road performance makes it even more exceptional. The standard full-time four-wheel drive uses an electronically controlled transfer case and a TORSEN® torque-sensing limited slip center differential which can be electronically locked. It also offers a low range for off-road driving. The TORSEN differential distributes power 40:60 front/rear under most driving conditions and changes the ratio as needed based on wheel slip.
The ability to change to a 30:70 front/rear ratio during steering maneuvers helps enhance vehicle tracking through curves. If the rear wheels spin, the center differential can change the ratio to 50:50 front/rear to help control the slippage. The TORSEN differential also helps make the GX 460 less prone to slippage caused by sudden changes in road-surface conditions, such as driving through a puddle or over an ice patch.
By adjusting sway resistance provided by the front and rear stabilizer bars, standard Kinetic Dynamic Suspension System (KDSS) can help reduce maximum body-lean angle by as much as 50 percent to help enhance both on-road handling response and off-highway capability.
Using hydraulic cylinders acting on each stabilizer bar and linked by a pressure-sensing valve, KDSS reduces the degree of sway stiffness provided by the stabilizer bars in response to changing road conditions and driver inputs. Because KDSS changes the effectiveness of the stabilizer bars in certain situations like off-road driving, the nominal stiffness of the bars can be notably increased to help reduce body- lean and improve on-road handling.
During on-road cornering, when both front and rear hydraulic cylinders are in a neutral position no fluid flows in the system and the stabilizer bars work conventionally to help reduce body lean. In off-road driving situations, KDSS allows the wheels on each axle to move with a larger degree of side-to-side independence, helping to minimize any tendency for wheel lift. When the GX 460 encounters an uneven surface, one compressed cylinder causes fluid to flow to the other cylinder, helping the vehicle to keep all four wheels on the ground. That action increases wheel travel and articulation and helps to equalize wheel loading.
In addition to KDSS, the GX 460 offers optional Crawl Control, a technology that helps make driving off-road easier. The Crawl Control feature automatically modulates the throttle and brake, allowing the driver to concentrate on steering. Crawl Control is also useful to help navigate the vehicle through sand, mud or snow.
When the transmission is shifted into low range, Crawl Control regulates engine speed and output, along with braking force, to propel the vehicle forward or in reverse at one of five low-speed settings. This allows the driver to maintain focus while steering over very rough ground or steep grades, without having to also modulate the throttle and brake pedals. Crawl Control also actuates the front and rear “virtual” locking differentials to help reduce tire slippage and optimize chassis behavior. The driver can reduce vehicle speed by braking or adjusting the crawling speed with a selector switch.
Available on the Premium model, the optional Pre-Collision System (PCS) with Driver Attention Monitor Package can help reduce collision damage. The package includes Dynamic Radar Cruise Control, which uses millimeter-wave radar to measure and help maintain a pre-set following distance from a vehicle traveling ahead.
The Driver Attention Monitor uses a camera to monitor the orientation of the driver's face. If it determines that the driver is not facing forward when an obstacle is detected ahead, it alerts the driver, first with a warning chime and a warning display. If the driver doesn’t respond as the car gets closer to the obstacle, PCS will warn the driver by gently applying the brakes. To help assist the driver in maneuvering around the obstacle, the system changes the steering ratio, amplifying the intensity and quickness of the steering response. At the same time, PCS automatically retracts the front seatbelts and prepares the brake system to respond with increased braking force when activated by the driver in anticipation of a possible impact.
The Pre-Collision System Package also includes Lane Departure Alert (LDA) and Intelligent High Beam headlamps. LDA uses certain lane markings to help alert the driver of a perceived unintentional lane departure by sounding a warning buzzer and displaying an alert. Intelligent High Beam headlamps automatically switch the high beams to low beams when encountering oncoming vehicles or approaching vehicles from the rear.
The Lexus GX 460 also offers Lexus Enform® with Safety Connect®. Lexus Enform with Safety Connect is standard on all vehicles equipped with the optional Navigation system. The Lexus Enform and the Safety Connect response centers operate 24 hours a day, 7 days a week—every day of the year. Complimentary one-year trial subscriptions are included on all purchases of new Lexus vehicles equipped with these features.
Vehicles equipped with Lexus Enform are factory ready for subscriptions to a variety of innovative SiriusXM services including NavTraffic, NavWeather, Sports, and Stocks. SiriusXM data services offer complimentary one-year trial subscriptions and require a separate audio subscription.
• The 4.6-liter V8 engine mated to a six-speed electronically controlled automatic transmission with sequential shift produces 301 horsepower at 5,500 rpm and 329 lb.-ft. of peak torque at 3,500 rpm, enabling the GX to tow up to 6,500 lbs.
• The 32-valve DOHC engine features aluminum alloy cylinder heads and block with dual Variable Valve Timing with Intelligence (VVT-i), which controls valve timing and overlap on both the intake and exhaust camshafts to optimize power, fuel efficiency and emissions.
• The GX 460 has robust body-on-frame construction and does not compromise on- or off-road performance; the high-strength chassis and dynamic suspension control technology support both.
• The available Adaptive Variable Suspension (AVS) features three modes: Normal, Sport and Comfort.
• Independent front suspension delivers a smooth on-road ride without compromising rugged off-road capabilities.
• The GX 460 rides on standard 18-inch alloy wheels with 265/60 R18 tires.
• The power rack-and-pinion steering system helps make it easier to maneuver the GX 460 in tight spaces.
• Available Adjustable Height Control (AHC) enhances the vehicle’s flexibility in a wide range of driving situations.
• Vehicle Stability Control (VSC) helps keep the GX 460 going on its intended course by detecting front- and rear-wheel slip during cornering and attempting to control either condition with a combination of torque intervention and individual wheel braking.
• Electronic Brake-force Distribution (EBD) utilizes the anti-lock brake system (ABS) and distributes brake force between the front and rear wheels according to driving conditions and wheel-load.
• Brake Assist (BA) is designed to determine if the driver is attempting emergency braking, and if the driver has not stepped firmly enough on the brake pedal to engage ABS, the system supplements the applied braking power.
• Hill-start Assist Control (HAC) provides additional control for off-road driving by helping to keep the vehicle from rolling back while starting on a steep incline.
• Downhill Assist Control (DAC) is designed to augment the low-speed descending ability of the transmission's low range by helping to hold the vehicle to a target speed with no intervention from the driver.
• Active traction control (A-TRAC) provides the traction benefits of having locked front and rear differentials, but with lower weight, as the system can apply the brake to a slipping wheel, while transferring torque to the wheels with better traction.
• A steering angle indicator in the gauge panel shows the driver, at a glance, which direction the front wheels are pointing – useful for situations where this can be difficult to discern, such as driving off-road or when parking.
• The Supplemental Restraint System (SRS) includes standard 10 airbags: driver and front passenger airbags; front seat-mounted side airbags; driver and front passenger knee airbags; second-row seat-mounted side airbags, and roll-sensing side curtain airbags covering all three rows.
• The roll-sensing side curtain airbags are designed to deploy when a severe tilt angle, roll or lateral G-force is detected; or in response to certain types of severe side impact collisions.
• Active front headrests move up and forward almost instantly in the event of certain types of rear-end collisions when the force of the occupant's body is applied to the seat back.
• The available Adaptive Front-lighting System (AFS) illuminates a turn or curve as the driver steers into it and includes High Intensity Discharge (HID) headlights.
• Standard features include: ten-way power-adjustable, heated/ventilated front seats; automatic dual-zone climate control; leather trimmed seats and surfaces; steering wheel audio controls; rain-sensing windshield wipers; power moonroof; memory system for the driver's seat, steering wheel and outside mirror positions; and integrated HomeLink® transmitter.
• The versatile passenger-side second row seat slides 4.1 inches fore/aft to maximize passenger and cargo carrying ability.
• The foldable and reclining second row seats also feature a 60/40 walk-in function to access the standard power fold-flat third row seats.
• The rear door window has a flip-up glass panel for added convenience.
• Equipped for family multimedia entertainment, the GX 460 comes standard with a Lexus Premium nine-speaker audio system with iPod®/USB connectivity, Bluetooth® hands free phone capability and music streaming, and an integrated SirusXM Satellite Radio receiver (complimentary 90-day trial subscription included).
• A rear back-up camera is standard and provides the driver a view of what its lens can detect behind the vehicle when engaged in reverse gear, projecting the image on the standard 4.2-inch multi-information display, or the optional navigation system’s LCD display.
• The Convenience Package includes electrochromic exterior mirrors with power retract, and Intuitive Parking Assist.
• The Comfort Plus Package includes semi-aniline leather; heated second-row outer seats; wood-trimmed steering wheel and shift knob; and three-zone automatic climate control.
• The hard disc drive (HDD) navigation system is a standalone option and features Voice Command casual language-based voice recognition system and Bluetooth phonebook download to enhance owner convenience.
• The available 17-speaker Mark Levinson® Premium Audio system is the platinum standard for OEM mobile audio.
• The available Rear Seat Entertainment (RSE) system includes two LCD screens, one in each of the front seat backrests.
• Three-zone automatic climate control for enhanced third-row passenger comfort is also available as a standalone option.
• Available on the Premium model, with the optional Pre-Collision System (PCS), the Wide-view Front and Side Camera is designed to enhance visibility in tight settings, such as parking garages, and to help the driver’s view around corners when pulling out of parking spaces into traffic, and stopped at intersections and T-junctions.
• The available Intuitive Parking Assist helps the driver detect obstacles at the front, rear or corners of the vehicle and helps guide the GX into the garage or parking spaces.
• A key goal of the designers was to have the vehicle create the impression of being sculpted from a single block of metal.
• The distinctive grille features three horizontal bars and, upon closer inspection, intricate detail and texture that conveys renowned Lexus attention to detail.
• The front bumper features standard integrated fog lamps.
• Functional design elements include low-profile roof rails and an acoustic insulation windshield that help reduce wind noise.
• The GX 460 uses one-touch power windows with motors that reduce speed near the closure point to minimize the sound of the window closing.
• The instrument panel is designed to appear as if formed from a single metal bar and is arranged to place all vital controls within easy reach.
• Optitron® instrument gauges are a traditional and functional Lexus design element.
• The leather and wood-trimmed cabin adds a luxurious feel.
• 48-month/50,000-mile basic limited warranty with roadside assistance for 48 months/unlimited miles.
• 72 months/70,000 miles powertrain and restraint system coverage.
• 72 months corrosion perforation protection coverage, regardless of mileage.